Friday, October 1, 2010

Mayor Emanuel?

Rahm Emanuel steps down as the White House Chief of Staff in order to return to Chicago and begin a bid for the City's Mayoral Office long held by Richard M Daley.  A native of Chicago myself I spent the morning looking back at the people who have held this office over the last 30+ years wondering if Rahm, or any of the other Mayoral hopefuls, are Chicago Mayoral material.  The list since the death of the father of Mayor Richard M Daley, Mayor Richard J Daley who died in office in December of 1976 after serving as the City's Mayor since 1955 has included:



  • 77-79 Michael A Bilandic
  • 79-83 Jane M Byrne
  • 83-87 Harold Washington (died in office)
  • 87 (interim mayor) David Orr
  • 87-89 Eugene Sawyer
  • 89-Current Mayor Richard M Daley



Mayor Daley has held the office for the last 21 years.  During his press conference to officially announce his retirement from the position he said, "I am deeply grateful to the people of this city, more grateful than I can fully express.  I have given it my all. I have done the best."


"Now, I am ready with my family to begin the new phase of our lives. In the coming days,  I know there will be some reflecting on my time as mayor. Many of you will search to find what's behind my decision. It's simple. I've always believed that every person, especially public officials, must understand when it's time to move on. For me, that time is now," 
 "The truth is that I've been thinking about this for the last several months. And in the last several weeks, I've been increasingly comfortable with my decision. It just feels right."
**
Rahm Emanuel has made no secret about his desire to hold this office, but did make it clear he would not run against Daley.  With Daley stepping down the playing field is now wide open for the entire slew of those would be mayoral hopefuls to throw their hats into the ring, including a slew of City Alderman.  
Will Emanuel make a good mayor for Chicago?  He has a proven track record of being able to push through and get the job at hand done, but for the City of Chicago, if they elect him, only time will tell.
  

allvoices

No comments:

Post a Comment